It’s the day we celebrate love, our partners, all things romance – but if you’ve got your heart set on a Valentine’s Day kiss, you’ll want to be sure your oral hygiene is in tip-top shape so you can enjoy that romantic moment with complete confidence.
In this article, we’re taking a look at what’s involved in a healthy oral hygiene routine, along with a few quick kissing tips so you can feel fresh, confident, and extra-kissable this Valentine’s Day.
1. Time to brush up on brushing
It’s the oral hygiene step we learn as children – you need to brush your teeth once in the morning after breakfast and again at night. But while you may be performing your twice-daily brushing, how you brush your teeth is every bit as important as how often you’re cleaning them.
For starters, you need to be taking a full two minutes to brush your teeth effectively (set a timer during your next brushing session and you might be surprised at how far off the mark you are!). Next, ensure your brushing technique is up to scratch with these brushing basics:
- Use a pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Holding the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle towards the gum line, use a gentle circular motion to brush the outer surfaces of the teeth.
- Repeat on the inner tooth surfaces.
- Use a gentle back and forth motion on the chewing surfaces.
- Spit out the toothpaste after brushing.
Kissing Tip: Sneak in an extra brushing session before your Valentine’s date for added kissing confidence!
2. Floss like a boss
While you might think of flossing as an ‘optional extra’ when it comes to your oral hygiene, it’s actually an important step in keeping your teeth clean and your mouth healthy. Flossing can remove plaque between your teeth, which can help to prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath.
You should aim to floss at least once a day, taking the time to get your technique right for the best results. Unsure of how to floss? Here’s a quick guide:
1. Take a length of floss (around 45cm), wrap it around your middle fingers, and grip it between your thumb and index fingers.
2. Gently place the floss between each tooth and use a side-to-side motion to guide the floss back and forth. Take care not to use an abrupt motion which could cut or damage your gums.
3. To clean the ‘neck’ of the tooth (the part where it meets the gums), curl the floss and gently insert it under the gum.
Kissing tip: Keep a roll of floss handy and check your teeth before your romantic moment so you can quickly remove any food or debris.
3. To rinse or not to rinse?
While mouthwash isn’t an essential part of your daily oral hygiene routine, a 30-second rinse can provide a quick burst of freshness. However, it’s important to note that mouthwash can’t cure bad breath and it’s certainly not a substitute for brushing or flossing your teeth.
That said, some oral health conditions can be helped by particular mouthwash products, so speak to your dentist about whether you might benefit from using mouthwash.
Kissing tip: Bust out the bottle of mouthwash before your Valentine’s kiss to freshen up your mouth.
4. Stay kissable with a twice-yearly clean
Let’s face it, kisses aren’t just for Valentine’s Day – so be sure to take advantage of a twice-yearly clean so you can maintain a high standard of oral hygiene. Book in for a check-up and clean with Apple Dental and enjoy the delightfully fresh feeling of professionally-cleaned teeth.
Make sure you’re always ready to kiss with confidence, by keeping on track with your oral hygiene. If you’d like more advice on oral health or our dental treatments, contact Apple Dental today.