1/1 Finlayson Street

Lane Cove NSW 2066

(02) 9420 5050

Appointments & questions

What is Baby Bottle Tooth Decay?

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

When a very young infant develops tooth decay, it is often called baby bottle tooth decay and is caused when infants are given sugary liquids including milk, fruit juice and formula in their bottle. Children are particularly at risk when given a sugary drink at night time or at nap time because their teeth will be exposed to these sugars for longer. Giving a child a sugary drink at night time is especially harmful because less saliva is produced and the drier conditions allow bacteria to grow more easily. Bacteria in their mouth will thrive on these sugars and create acid as a by-product. The acid attacks their tooth enamel, causing cavities. Baby bottle tooth decay tends to most frequently affect the upper front teeth but other teeth may also become decayed.

Tips for Preventing Baby Bottle Tooth Decay

If your child would like a night-time drink, give them plain water and never dip pacifiers in honey or other sweetened substances. Begin brushing your child’s teeth as soon as the first tooth comes through and make sure you book their first dental visit with us here at Apple Dental. We can offer practical advice and information on how to look after their teeth and how to avoid tooth decay.

More Articles

Healthy Halloween stuffed Capsicums

Celebrate Halloween with these spooktacular healthy stuffed capsicums! They’re perfect for a family dinner ahead of trick-or-treating. Ingredients 4 small capsicums (a mix of orange,