Broccoli is a nutrient dense food that is low in calories and here is why you should include it in your diet.
- Just 1 cup of broccoli has all the vitamin C you need for the day.
- Protect your bone health as broccoli has high levels of calcium and vitamin K, both of which are essential for healthy bones and for the prevention of osteoporosis.
- Broccoli contains potassium, calcium and magnesium and can help regulate your blood pressure.
- Boost your immune system with broccoli as it contains beta-carotene and trace minerals including zinc and selenium.
- Protect your nervous system. Potassium in broccoli helps maintain optimal brain function and a healthy nervous system.
- Reduce your risk of cancer as broccoli contains glucoraphanin which is processed by the body into sulforaphane, a compound that helps rid the body of a bacterium that can increase the risk of gastric cancer. Broccoli also contains antioxidants and anti-carcinogens to fight the growth of cervical, breast and prostate cancers.
- Broccoli contains vitamin B6 and folate which can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, stroke and heart attacks.