Do you have children aged between 2 and 17? Do you think you may qualify for financial assistance with their basic dental care? We have put together a quick overview of the Child Dental Benefit Schedule, as well as an explanation as to how this scheme works within our dental practice. The key facts are:
- The Child Dental Benefits Scheme provides eligible families with financial support covering basic dental services for children aged between 2 and 17 years.
- Families and teenagers eligible for this scheme should have received a letter from the government confirming this fact.
- The scheme covers $1,000 basic dental services over two consecutive calendar years. Any benefits not used during the first year may be carried over to the second year, provided your child still qualifies for this scheme. Any benefits remaining at the end of the second year will not be carried forward.
- The scheme covers a wide range of basic dental services including examinations, cleanings, x-rays, fillings, fissure sealants, root canal treatments and tooth extractions.
- The benefits do not cover any orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be used towards services provided in a hospital setting, for example if your child needs treatment under a general anaesthetic.
How Do I Claim?
Our practice is a non-bulk billing provider which means you must pay for treatment at the time it is given, before claiming your benefits through Medicare.
In order to do this, bring your Medicare card with you to your child’s appointment as we will need their details in order to offer treatment under this scheme. Your consent is required prior to any treatment being given and you will be provided with a complete breakdown of all the costs before you sign a consent form. After your child has received treatment our reception will charge you directly and this account must be paid in full. You can then claim these costs back through Medicare. You cannot claim from a private health insurer for the same services claimed on Medicare.
The procedure for claiming is very straightforward, but our friendly dental team is always here to help or to answer any questions you may have.
For more information on the Child Dental Benefits Scheme, please click here.