This recipe is easy to make and reheats beautifully, so it is perfect if everyone needs to eat at different times.
600g veal and pork mince
1 medium finely chopped brown onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
1tbs olive oil
1tsp mixed dried herbs
100g finely chopped eggplant
1 medium grated zucchini
500g jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce
2tbs tomato paste
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 cups dried penne pasta
2 cups grated pizza cheese
- Grease a 22 cm diameter, 6 cm deep spring form pan and line base and sides with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook onion for three minutes or until softened. Add the mince and cook for eight minutes or until brown before adding the eggplant, zucchini, dried herbs and garlic. Continue to cook for another five minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in pasta sauce and tomato paste and bring to the boil before reducing heat to low. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- In the meantime, heat up a large pan of boiling salted water and cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain and transfer to a large heatproof bowl and stir in the mince mixture, half the cheese and parsley. Season with pepper before spreading mixture into prepared pan.
- Place the pan on a baking tray and sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes until it feels firm and the top is golden. Cover it with foil if it appears to be burning during cooking.
- Let it stand for 20 minutes before removing from pan and cutting into wedges. Serve with salad leaves and enjoy.