HomeSlow-Cooker Beef & Barley Soup
Recipe: Slow-Cooker Beef & Barley Soup
Jump to section
If you’re ready to take the next step towards a healthier, happier smile, book your appointment with us today.
Slow cooking really helps to bring out the flavour in this winter-warming soup.
- 500g beef blade steak, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 2 carrots, scrubbed or peeled and finely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh, chopped thyme leaves
- 375ml water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock (use reduced salt for a healthier option)
- 100g Tuscan cabbage
- 75g rinsed and drained pearl barley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Warm half of the olive oil over a low heat in a saucepan and add the beef. Cook until the beef is nicely browned and place in slow cooker.
- Warm the rest of the oil over a medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the mixture is soft.
- Add the thyme and garlic and stir for 1 minute until aromatic then return beef to pan.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and water and bring to boil before transferring the soup to a slow cooker. Cover the soup and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add the Tuscan cabbage and pearl barley and continue cooking for another 2 hours until the cabbage has wilted and the barley is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with freshly ground black pepper. Serve the soup with fresh parsley.