HomeHealth Benefits of Mushrooms
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Mushrooms are tasty and edible fungi that make a great addition to many meals. They also have lots of health benefits. Here are some reasons why you should think about incorporating mushrooms into your diet.
- Helps boost your immune system: Mushrooms contain vitamins C, B12 and B6 which are important for boosting your immune system.
- They contain selenium, an antioxidant that can protect cells from damage.
- Low-calorie: Mushrooms are low-calorie and help to fill you up.
- Good source of potassium: Just one medium sized Portobello mushroom contains as much potassium as a medium-sized banana.
- Improved cholesterol levels: Some enzymes and the fibre in mushrooms can help to reduce cholesterol.
- Anaemia: Mushrooms contain plenty of nutritive iron that is easily absorbed by the body and which helps promote the formation of new red blood cells.
- Good for heart health: Mushrooms contain copper which is essential for heart health and for producing blood cells.
- Lowers risk of developing some cancers: Mushrooms are rich in phytochemicals and eating them has been linked to a potentially lowering the risk of developing some cancers.
- Protecting against prostate and breast cancer: Mushrooms contain conjugated linoleic acid and beta glucans, both of which have anti-carcinogenic properties. Linoleic acid is a particularly helpful in mitigating the harmful effects of excess oestrogen, as an increase in oestrogen is related to an increase in the risk of breast cancer for women after menopause.
- Diabetes: Mushrooms do not contain any cholesterol, have no fat and only have very low levels of carbohydrates. They contain high levels of protein and plenty of vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms also have certain compounds that help promote the proper function of the pancreas, liver and endocrine glands, helping regulate insulin production.
- Healthy bones: Mushrooms contain calcium. This mineral is essential to help reduce the risk of developing conditions such as osteoporosis. Additionally, white mushrooms are a good vitamin D source that helps facilitate the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, which is important for preventing osteoporosis.