HomeFive Foods for a Healthy Heart
Five Foods for a Healthy Heart
Including these tasty foods into your diet will help keep your heart healthy.
- Salmon: The omega 3 fatty acids in salmon have an anti-clotting affect, helping to keep your blood flowing. Omega 3 also helps to lower triglycerides, which is a kind of fat that can lead to heart disease.
- Walnuts: Walnuts contain plenty of monounsaturated fats, helping to increase good HDL cholesterol while lowering bad LDL cholesterol. Walnuts also contain omega 3 fats.
- Berries: Berries contain antioxidants that help to mop up free radicals. They are also packed with vitamins C and fibre, both of which can lower your risk of stroke.
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas contain soluble fibre that can help lower LDL-cholesterol. If you use canned, choose no salt or low-sodium varieties.
- Avocados: Avocados contain plenty of good monounsaturated fats which help to lower cholesterol levels. They can also have an anti-inflammatory effect, lowering your risk of atherosclerosis or hardened arteries.