HomeCheese & Spinach Penne Topped with Walnut Crumble
Recipe: Cheese & Spinach Penne Topped with Walnut Crumble
Jump to section
If you’re ready to take the next step towards a healthier, happier smile, book your appointment with us today.
If you love macaroni cheese but are looking for something a bit different, why not try our tasty recipe? This also freezes extremely well.
- 350g grated mature cheddar
- 500g penne
- 85g plain flour
- 2 large sliced leeks
- 85g butter
- 1litre milk, plus a little extra
- 400g spinach
- 85g walnut pieces
- 2tsp ready-made English mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 slices diced French bread
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan. Boil pasta with the leeks for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Place the butter, mustard, nutmeg, milk and flour in a large pan and season. Gently heat while continually stirring until bubbling and thickened. Cook for another two minutes then remove from heat and stir in two thirds of the cheese. Mix the remaining cheese with the bread and walnuts.
- Cook the spinach in the microwave or wilt in boiling water before squeezing out the excess moisture. Add to sauce with pasta and leaks and stir to combine. Loosen with a little extra milk if the mixture is too thick. Divide mix between two ovenproof dishes and top with bread mix. Bake for 40 minutes until top is golden or alternatively freeze until needed.